Monday, October 24, 2011

1 Week In

I'm one week in, and 2 pounds down. I'll be honest, I was expecting a bit more of a loss, considering the drastic change in my eating habits and increase in exercise. But 2 pounds is 2 pounds, so I'll take it.

The wife of the owner at my work is a personal trainer/body builder, and I've been following the diet plan that she gave me for the past week.

Here's an idea of how what I eat daily:

First thing in the morning: Protein drink

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with cinnamon and stevia

Snack: Homemade protein bar (delicious and low calorie, I'll post the recipe at some point.)

Lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 chicken breast (or other lean protein), green vegetable (such as spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce..)

Snack: Homemade protein bar

Dinner:  Turkey burger (or other lean protein, like fish), green vegetable

Right before bedtime: Protein drink

(I also drink at least 1 gallon of water a day.)

As you can see, I've cut out all sugar. I try to get in at least half an hour of exercise a day, this past week I only got in 4 days.

It was a difficult transition, but not as hard as I expected. I didn't miss or crave sugar at all, which was great, but for some reason I was still very cranky. I thought I'd be more tired, but I had more energy than normal.

The hard thing for me is not seeing the weight drop off immediately. I think, "ok I worked out for 45 minutes, why am I not skinny yet?" Every day I have to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that this is a lifestyle change.

I'm not going to lose 20 pounds in 2 days, or maybe not even in 2 months.
People aren't going to notice that I lost 2 pounds, even though I feel it.
And when I reach my goal weight, it still won't be ok for me to drink soda every day, and snack on candy when I'm hungry or sad.

Will it be easier to indulge every once in a while? Yes.
But this isn't some quick fix. This is why I've always gained the weight back. Because I don't treat it as a new way of life.

But this time is different. This time has to be different.

From here on out, I eat to live, I don't live to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment