Monday, November 21, 2011

How to survive Thanksgiving

Weight loss this week: 4.2 pounds
Weight loss so far: 10.6 pounds

Yes. You read that right. 4.2 freaking pounds this week.

I usually weigh in on Monday, but I woke up feeling pretty good on Saturday. I generally despise weighing myself because I'm so afraid of that number. But I thought, why not, and was extremely surprised.

I really attribute the increase in loss to my work outs. I ate the same this past week (if not worse), but started going to kickboxing instead of just hitting the elliptical. I went for a hike. And I loved my workouts. I felt like I was actually accomplishing something when I felt the burn in my legs and abs all week. So I've decided to make this a habit. From now on, it's kickboxing Mondays and Wednesdays, and Zumba on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays that I'm not booked at the salon.

The great thing about these classes is I feel like I'm toning and strengthening while also getting an awesome cardio workout. I also work out harder than if I'm just doing it on my own.

On to the real matters of this week. It's Thanksgiving. (insert scary music here.)

People have been asking me what I'm going to do about the gigantic feast that will inevitably be shoved in my face this coming Thursday. Here's my plan for the day:

I'm waking up at 6:30 and going for a hike. That way I can get my exercise in early, jump start my metabolism for the day, and enjoy a beautiful morning with my family.

I'm eating my regular diet throughout the day. Generally, I just either binge all day, because hey, it's Thanksgiving! Or I starve myself then eat until I want to pass out. While those both sound like ridiculously fun ideas, I think I'll go the healthy route this year. Balanced breakfast, and my usual low calorie snacks in between meals, so that when the big meal comes, I don't over do it.

For the actual Thanksgiving dinner..I am not going to deprive myself. I want to enjoy the tradition, and feel like I'm not missing out. I plan to fill my plate with veggies, and get bite sized portions of the things I love-because who wants to miss out on the mashed potatoes, yams, and pumpkin pie? Not this girl. By having just a taste of the heavier things on the menu, but filling up on vegetables and lean meat beforehand, I promise you won't feel like you're missing out at all.

Eat slowly, and enjoy the company around you.
Thanksgiving should be a day to celebrate family, friends, and the freedom that we enjoy.
(And a preface to the great holiday, Black Friday.)

Eat to live, don't live to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment